Within the Rail Industry our experience and expertise is unrivalled as we provide investigative chemical analysis in support of our customer’s environmental, health, safety and development projects.
Services to the Rail Industry
Our long association with the Rail Industry dates back to 1864 when the world’s first railway laboratory was established. Scientifics was part of the British Rail Research Organisation until it was privatised in 1996. Historic applications for “Railway Chemists” were the testing of coal, lubricants, metallurgy, paints, fuels, advice on the use of chemicals and many other types of investigation. These areas have now expanded and we offer expertise in:
Health, safety and welfare
Health, Safety and Fire Consultancy
A comprehensive range of consultancy services provided by Environmental Health professionals to support compliance within workplace Health and Safety legislation.
Drug, Alcohol and Forensic Services
Our experienced Forensic Scientists conduct a range of UKAS accredited forensic investigations in accordance with the British Transport Police and other investigatory bodies as well as fast and confidential drug and alcohol services.
- Examination of Scenes of Crime Items Including Glass, Paint, and Tool Marks Analysis
- Fire and Arson Investigation
- Examination of Drug-taking Paraphernalia
- Analysis of Solid Drugs
- UKAS Accredited EMIT Screen with GCMS Inclusive Confirmation
- Toxicological Interpretation of Positive Results
- Expert Witness Service
We can help you to achieve compliance with environmental regulations through the following services.
Water Safety, Hygiene & Treatment
Ensuring safety in water systems through inspection, sampling and monitoring.
- Legionella Risk Assessments and Management Plans
- Monitoring of Drinking Water Supplied to Rail Vehicles
- Sampling and Bacteriological Analysis of Drinking Waters, Washroom Showers and Tank Fed Water Supplies
- Electronic Management Systems
- Legionella Awareness Training
- Provision of “Competent Person”
- Sampling and Analysis of Softened Water, De-ionised Water and Boiler Re-circulating Water
Asbestos Management and Consultancy
Providing a comprehensive solution to all aspects of Asbestos.
- Surveys to identify Asbestos Containing Materials
- UKAS accredited Sample Analysis of Materials, Inspection and Airborne Fibre Monitoring, Reassurance Inspections, Air Quality Monitoring, Personal and 4 Stage Clearance Testing, Certificates of Reoccupation
- Statutory Re-inspections
- Asbestos Management Procedures and Systems
- Policies, Management Plans and Audits
- Removal Project Management including Specifications, Tendering and On-site Supervision and Monitoring
- Asbestos Awareness Training
Contaminated Land Investigation
Offering a broad spectrum of services for the investigation and assessment of sites.
- Historical Review
- Site Survey
- Intrusive Site Investigation
- Chemical Analysis
- Identification of Hazardous Materials (PCB, Asbestos, Radioactive Waste)
- Waste Disposal and Advice
- Remediation Advice
- Ground Water Sampling and Analysis
- WAC Testing
Oil Condition Monitoring Oil Analysis and Grease Analysis
A complete analytical package for all types of engine, gearbox and transformer oils, lubricating oils and greases to ensure the safe and cost effective performance of plant, equipment and rolling stock.
Structures, Signals,Trackbed and Rolling Stock Maintenance
A unique consultancy service for the maintenance of rolling stock as well as specialised services to support structures, signalling, track and trackbed maintenance.